Eays49qurpuhkbhqpd7j

Hip Hip As Liberation Theology

A 10 week interactive seminar course and discussion rooted in womanist praxis with an emphasis on hip hop as a socio-political and spirit/religion based ideology. This course uses multi-discipline learning and teaching methods to discuss the ways that (1) centering black women and other marginalized voices in all discussions is necessary (2) why hip hop should be considered a sacred text (3) what are the so called “good” and so called “bad” behaviors and truths that have been learned as a result of hip hop (4) how we might use hip hop as an essential tool to heal black people (5) how we might use hip hop as a tool to deconstruct cis patriarchal white supremacy (6) and to discuss the ethics around considering who is worthy of being preached to and centered in religious/spiritual discussions.


Your Instructor


EbonyJanice
EbonyJanice

EbonyJanice Moore is a womanist scholar and activist doing community-organizing work, most specifically around black women’s body ownership as a justice issue, and equal access to education and pay for women of color in the U.S. and in several African countries. She has created curriculum for leadership development for high school aged girls in Kenya and South Africa, developed programming for teenagers in housing projects in Decatur, Georgia giving them exposure to culture, STEM programs and the arts, and she teaches a bimonthly workshop on issues involving interrupting racism, individual civic responsibilities, and intersectional advocacy.

Her research interests include issues pertaining to blackness, woman-ness, and spirituality - most specifically black women's use of spirit, conjure, and/or the supernatural as a tool to impact social justice, and the pluralism of Black Christianity and the interconnectedness of the Southern Black Christian experience with Indigenous African religions and African Spirituality. EbonyJanice has a B.A. in Cultural Anthropology and Political Science, and a Master of Arts in Social Change with a concentration in Spiritual Leadership, Womanist Theology, and Racial Justice. She is also a certified Body Justice Advocate and Holistic Healer.


Class Curriculum


  Welcome
Available in days
days after you enroll
  Module 1 - Introducing Liberation Theology
Available in days
days after you enroll
  Module 2 - Introducing Womanism & Hip Hop Womanism
Available in days
days after you enroll
  Module 3 - Hip Hop & Anthropology
Available in days
days after you enroll
  Module 4 - Black Women's Body Ownership as a Justice Issue
Available in days
days after you enroll
  Module 5 - Sex, Sexuality, Gender Performance In Hip Hop
Available in days
days after you enroll
  Module 6 - Loving Black Men By Any Means Necessary (?)
Available in days
days after you enroll

Frequently Asked Questions


When does the course start and finish?
The course starts on September 6, 2018. Each week your instructor will upload new assignments and material for your course. Additionally, your instructor will send you the syllabus for this course, along with important dates and details specific to your course.
How long do I have access to the course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with the course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 14 days and we will give you a 75% refund. The other 25% goes towards administrative fees that ensure the instructor is compensated. *You will love this class.

Get started now!